Sunday 3 September 2023

Praying In The Spirit


'Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches the heart knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.' Romans 8:26-27

Prayer is communication with God, a communion with the Almighty. As we all know communication can be verbal or non-verbal and that is the same for prayer.

Christian Meditation is often referred to as the prayer of the heart. In meditation we are to sit and keep our body still, then the mind should stay silent and be focused on God. Father John Main, who inspired the World Community of Christian Meditation, would say that we are to set our mind on the Kingdom of God. To help focus the mind, the WCCM recommend repeating silently a mantra, 'Maranatha' which is Aramaic and means 'Come Lord.' At some time in the meditation, though not always, our spirits would soar as the Holy Spirit leads us to a prayer without words. St Paul described such praying as 'praying with my spirit.'

This kind of praying could be distinguished from our usual praying with words, praising God with our adoration, making our confession, offering our thanksgivings and presenting our supplications or petitions (ACTS). We are taught to pray like this when we first become Christians. We could pray vocally or pray silently. A fellow Christian meditator, Andre Croquet use the term, devotional prayer. St Paul described this as 'praying with my mind.'

I would normally spent some time in meditative prayer followed by devotional prayer in the mornings and evenings. Putting the two together, one following another, is a recent spiritual experience for me. I hope to make this a habit from now on. 

Both are important to the growth and spiritual experience of Christians. Whether devotional prayer or meditation prayer, the Holy Spirit comes close and guide us to pray. As St Paul put it, 

'What am I do do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also; I will sing praise with my spirit but I will sing with my mind also.' 1 Corinthians 14:15
 
There is also another term describing prayer, often used in the Bible; 'Praying in the Spirit.' In the Greek the term 'pray in the spirit' generally has two slightly different meanings. It can mean praying with the help of or by means of the Spirit. Or it can also mean praying in connection to or in the sphere of the Spirit. J Oswald Sanders said, 'It is clear that praying in the Spirit means much more than praying by the Spirit's help, although it is included. We pray by means of and in dependence on the Spirit's help but the Spirit is in the atmosphere in which the believer lives. Our prayers will then be, in substance, the same as the intercession of the Spirit within us.' (Ref 1) 

'And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people.' Ephesians 6:18

'But you, dear friends, by building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit.' Jude 1:20

John Piper said, 'Praying in the Spirit means our prayers are moved and guided by the Holy Spirit. That is, we are prompted to pray by the Holy Spirit; He's awakening it and moving it. And the things that we pray for are being shaped and determined by the Spirit. So, it's His power that carries the prayer, and it's His leading that guides, the prayer.' (Ref 2)

J Oswald Sanders quoted Andrew Murray, 'Just as wonderful and real is the divine work of God on the throne graciously hearing, and by His mighty power answering prayer. Just as divine as is the work of the Son, interceding and securing and transmitting the answer from above, is the work of the Holy Spirit in us in the prayer that awaits and obtains the answer. The intercession within is as divine as the intercession above.

Weakness and inadequacy in the art of prayer are not surprising to God. He never intended that prayer should be left to our own unaided faculties. So He gave the Holy Spirit to instruct, inspire, and illumine our hearts and minds. Unaided by Him, we would be likely to pray for things not only contrary to God’s will but injurious to ourselves.' (Ref 1)

We all do struggle with praying as noted by Andrew Murray. Don Moen also experienced the distance from God as he struggled to find the inspiration to write songs. He said that in that struggle, God led him to write this song 'I will Sing, I will Pray'

Lord you seem so far away
A million miles or more
It feels today
And though I haven't lost my faith
I must confess right now
That it's hard for me to pray

But I don't know what to say
And I don't know where to start
But as you give the grace
With all that's in my heart
I will sing
I will praise
Even in my darkest time
Through the sorrow and the pain
I will sing
I will praise
Lift my hands to honor you
Because your word is true
I will sing
Lord is hard for me to see
All the thought and plans you have for me
But I will put my trust in you
Knowing that you died to set me free (oh thank God you died)

But I don't know what to say (what to say)
And I don't know where to start (where to start)
But as you give the grace
With all that's in my heart
I will sing
I will praise
Even in my darkest time
Through the sorrow and the pain
I will sing
I will praise
Lift my hands to honor you
Because your word is true (say it again)
The Puritans put it very simply, 'Pray until you pray.' This means get on with it, keep on the habit and routine of praying. Do not hurry. Take our time. Just put prayer to practice. Somewhere, somehow, the Holy Spirit will come to meet us and prayer will soon gets hold of us. 

Pray until you pray.


Lionel

Ref 1: J Oswald Sanders Praying in the Spirit 2004https://www.cslewisinstitute.org/resources/praying-in-the-spirit/

Ref 2: John Piper, How do we pray in the Spirit? 2021 
https://www.desiringgod.org/interviews/how-do-we-pray-in-the-spirit





1 comment:

  1. Chooi Heong Goh wrote
    Hi Lionel , Love the closing song! Truly when we groan, the Holy Spirit hears the innermost plea and groans with us. The gracious Father knows our needs and supplication .

    I believe that when we submit our needs to Him, even if we seek wrongly, the Holy Spirit will aid us and direct us to His throne of grace. So I don’t think there’s a wrong way to pray but we might ask for the wrong things . He will correct us . We just keep practising!

    Thanks always for your sharing ..

    ReplyDelete