Sunday 5 November 2023

I Know That My Redeemer Lives

 

'I know that my redeemer lives, and that in the end He will stand on the earth.' Job 19:25

Satan had struck Job down. God gave His permission in a challenge by Satan to test the veracity of Job's faithfulness. The devil claimed that Job's faith will falter and in the end Job would turn away from his faith. At the height of this testing; suffering and in the poorest of health, his skin was covered with sores, Job agonised and his laments are recorded in Job Chapter 19.

'My breath is repulsive to my wife.' Job 19:17a (NLT)

 'I have been reduced to skin and bones.' Job 19:20a (NLT)

But Job's faith never faltered. He remained steadfast in the most adverse of circumstances. Sitting on a dung heap, Job could still declare,

'But as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and He will stand upon the earth at last. But after my body has decayed, yet in my body I will see God!' Job 19:25-26

Not only is this one of the greatest testimony of faith, it is also a prophecy, a prophesy of the coming of Jesus Christ and the eventual victory over Satan; over sin and death; over suffering and deprivations. 

This poignant song of victory 'I know that my Redeemer liveth' is composed by Handel in the cantata 'Messiah.' 


I know that my redeemer liveth
And that he shall stand
At the latter day, upon the earth
I know that my redeemer liveth
And that he shall stand
At the latter day, upon the earth
Upon the earth

I know that my redeemer liveth
And he shall stand
Stand at the latter day, upon the earth
Upon the earth

And though worms destroy this body
Yet in my flesh shall I see God
Yet in my flesh shall I see God

I know that my redeemer liveth
And though worms destroy this body
Yet in my flesh shall I see God
Yet in my flesh shall I see God
Shall I see God

I know that my redeemer liveth
For now is Christ risen from the dead
The first fruits of them that sleep
Of them that sleep
The first fruits of them that sleep
For now is Christ risen
For now is Christ risen from the dead
The first fruits of them that sleep

Until that day when Christ shall come again, Satan remains a pernicious influence on this earth. Have you ever wondered, when things go so right in the church and in your ministry and life and then suddenly serious obstacles and challenges begin to appear? The devil is in the thick of things. The Apostle Peter warned,

'Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.' 1 Peter 1:8

This reality struck home recently for several families in our church. We are looking forward to going back to our newly constructed church premises. After several years of being in the doldrums of reduced church attendances during the Covid and post-Covid pandemic and worshipping in temporary premises, we are looking forward to returning to worship in a beautiful church sanctuary with new facilities. We are hoping to become an attractive community to the Koon Seng and Joo Chiat neighbourhoods and then suddenly so many of our faithful and serving members are struck down by cancer. Makes us wonder whether Satan is up to his tricks again.

But like Job, we will not buckle under. Like Job even in the midst of difficulties and sufferings, we will stand firm in our faith. St Peter spurs us on with these words,

'Resist him (the devil), standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings.' 1 Peter 1:9

'And the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.' 1 Peter 1:10

We live in a different era from Job. We have Christ who takes our burden. He said,

'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.' Matthew 11:28- 29

We live in Anno Domini, the year of the Lord. Christ has come once and He lives in our midst and Christ shall come again. 'He Lives.'


I serve a risen Saviour, He's in the world today
I know that He is living, whatever men may say
I see His hand of mercy, I hear His voice of cheer
And just the time I need Him He's always near
He lives (He lives), He lives (He lives), Christ Jesus lives today
He walks with me and talks with me
Along life's narrow way
He lives (He lives), He lives (He lives), Salvation to impart
You ask me how I know He lives?
He lives within my heart
In all the world around me I see His loving care
And though my heart grows weary I never will despair
I know that He is leading, through all the stormy blast
The day of His appearing will come at last
Rejoice, rejoice, O Christian Lift up your voice and sing
Eternal hallelujahs to Jesus Christ, the King
The Hope of all who seek Him, the Help of all who find
None other is so loving, so good and kind

Lionel

2 comments:

  1. This touched my heart more than you will ever know! I hope Pat will soon be well and you all will be able to come see me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the duality of life: good vs evil, right vs wrong, etc.....we are confronted with these daily. Yes, the right hand (influenced by the left brain) is doing and manipulating all the time, the left hand (influenced by the right brain) is learning and growing all the time, counterbalancing the right hand (left brain). Spirituality dwells in the right brain, connecting to God! Satan uses the left brain to do and manipulate things. We must constantly be on guard by using our right brain. Using neuroscience to explain good and evil.

    Wisdom is activating the right brain to balance the left. The world leans to the left (achievements, successes, measurements etc), as Christians, we lean to the right and counterbalance the left.

    ReplyDelete