Sunday 1 May 2022

His Eye Is On The Sparrow

 

Helen Davies/Getty Images

'I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.' Psalm 32:8

It is a great privilege to enjoy God's watchful eye upon our lives. The guidance of God in our lives is deeply personal. It is aptly conveyed by Psalm 23 which begins with the gentle statement, the Lord is my Shepherd- the Lord guides like a  shepherd guides his flock. The Lord, said the Psalmist,
    • Leads us beside still waters
    • Restores our soul 
    • Guides us into paths of righteousness
The essential question is how does God guide us? Pastor Buddy Owen of the Saddleback Church in a sermon on God's Promises About Guidance (Ref 1) outlined the ways God will guide

God guides by His Holy Spirit. 'When the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all truth... He will bring glory to Me by taking from what is Mine and making it known to you.' John 16:13-14

God guides by the Scriptures, His Word. 'Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.' Psalm 119:105

God guides through God's people. 'As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.'  Proverbs 27:17 'And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.'  Hebrews 10:24

God guides by circumstances. 'We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.' Romans 8:28

God guides by His still, small voice, speaking to your conscience . 'You will hear a voice behind you, saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.' Isaiah 30:21 

Some people expect God's answers to prayers to be immediately obvious. Some expect signs and wonders to indicate that God is at hand. While on occasions the intervention of God in our lives may be dramatic, it is often more quiet and unobtrusive. Signs are fleeting, relationship is permanent.

That we are guided by God, stems from our ongoing relationship with God. he leads us step by step in that growing relationship with Him. A quote from Sinclair B Ferguson reads, 'God's guidance will require patience on our part. His leading is not usually a direct assurance, a revelation, but His sovereign controlling of the circumstances of our lives, with the word of God as our rule. It is therefore inevitable that the unfolding of His purposes will take time - sometimes a very long time.'

There is also an element of discipline, of obedience in discovering God's leading.
 
'I will instruct you and teach you in the way you ought to go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you. Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle or they will not come to you' Psalm 32:8-9 

Whatever our circumstances and the state we are in, be assured that God always watches over us. Jesus said,

'Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father's care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth many more sparrows.' Matthew 10:29-31

This verse became the message of the Christian song 'His Eye Is On The Sparrow' written by Civilla Martin (lyrics) and Charles Gabriel (music) in 1905. Many of us have been comforted, encouraged and ministered to by this song.  

Civilla Martin met up with a Mr. and Mrs. Doolittle whom she described as true saints of God. Mrs Doolittle had been bedridden for 20 over years and Mr Doolittle wheel chair bound. Civilla wrote, "Despite their afflictions, they loved happy Christian lives, bringing inspiration and comfort to all who knew them. One day while we were visiting with the Doolittles, my husband commented on their bright hopefulness and asked them for the secret of it. Mrs. Doolittle's reply was simple: "His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me." The hymn "His Eye Is on the Sparrow" was the outcome of that experience.


Why should I feel discouraged 
Why should the shadows come
Why should my heart be lonely
And long for heaven and home
When Jesus is my portion
My constant friend is He
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches me;

I sing because I'm happy,
I sing because I'm free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

"Let not your heart be troubled"
His tender word I hear
And resting on His goodness
I lose my doubts and fears
Though by the path He leadeth 
But one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches me;

Whenever I am tempted
Whenever clouds arise
When songs give place to sighing
When hope within me dies
I draw the closer to Him
From care He sets me free
His eye is on the sparrow, 
I know He watches me
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches me.


Lionel


Ref 1:  Buddy Owens, God's Promises About Guidance 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMQTiM1b2Zg 

1 comment:

  1. Heong Goh wrote:
    Thanks for another excellent purposeful meditation. Yes He watches over the least of us. Our response is trust for we don’t know the intricate measures He uses .

    ReplyDelete