Sunday 8 May 2022

My Heavenly Father Watches Over Me



'I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me.' John 10:14a

My Christian brother, Dr Koh Hai Yong, once made this comment, "Oftentimes we as parents are overly anxious about our children. Are they doing well in school? Are they mixing with the right company? Are we providing enough for them? Then, this thought came to my mind – no matter how much we love and are concerned about our children, God loves them and cares for them infinitely more. I am emancipated!" 

Hai Yong's comment reminded me of this picture that my father in law the late Rev Kao gave us. It was a picture that hung on the family wall for many years. I chose this picture amongst many that he wanted to pass on to his children because at that time the song "My heavenly father watches over me" came to mind. This picture somehow gave me much comfort that I am under the watchful eyes of Jesus. The realisation that Jesus loves us including our young children, frees us from any anxiety of growing up in an unknown future.

John 10:14-16 states

'I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me — just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.' 

We used to sing the song 'there were ninety and nine that safely lay in the shelter of the fold, but one was lost on the hills away, far off from the gates of gold.' The song went on to indicate how Jesus the Good Shepherd will go out of His way to search for the lost sheep. 

Hai Yong was exactly right, we Christian parents can rest in the assurance that Jesus is the Good Shepherd.

Let me share with you one email I wrote to the my girls on 20 Oct 2001 when the world was filled with uncertainty. As parents, with children living far away in UK and Australia, what else can we do but to trust in the Good Shepherd? This email went, 

"Psalms 65:2 reads 'O You (referring to God) who hear prayer, to YOU all men will come.' Just one month ago, we witnessed a dastardly terrorist attack on the World Trade Centre, New York. Now, there are the Anthrax letters attacks on Washington DC. These are times of uncertainty. No one knows what the terrorists might do. Should we not turn to God?

Psalms 65: 9 says, 'You care for the land and water it, you enrich it abundantly.' This verse is really encouraging. Despite what these evil men can do, they cannot compete with the restoration God provides. God will heal the land. All they can do is create trouble, some mischief. Soon it will pass and they will be gone but God's creation remains. 

That God answers prayers is a statement of fact. It is not only when we turn to him that he hears our prayers. No, it just a plain fact that God hears prayers. And because he does, he draws us to Him, people like us who acknowledge His presence and preeminence at these times. I would you both to go to God in prayer often. 

We may not have the inclination to spend hours or even minutes in prayer. Few people do. But at every chance and every remembrance, whisper a prayer. When we travel and we remember someone say a prayer. When we wake up and when we go to sleep just pray a few sentences. If we have a need, pray to God. A few short sentences anywhere and at any time will do. We will then cultivate an attitude that acknowledges God as someone, though beyond us, is infinitely greater. Yet we can always bring a need, a fear, an anxiety, a joy, a laughter, an inspiration to Him and He will hear us."

The picture of the Good Shepherd makes me feel secure. See how the lamb is folded within the left arm of Jesus! And on the right hand is the staff to ward away things evil, destructive or predatory.

The hymn, 'My Heavenly Father Watches Over Me.' reminds us that we can put our trust in God at all times. When we experience the storms of life, when we appear to be in the lions' den or in a dark alley, Jesus is there keeping and watching over us.


  1. I trust in God wherever I may be,
    Upon the land, or on the rolling sea,
    For come what may, from day to day,
    My heav’nly Father watches over me.
    • Refrain:
      I trust in God, I know He cares for me;
      On mountain bleak or on the stormy sea;
      Though billows roll, He keeps my soul;
      My heav’nly Father watches over me.
  2. He makes the rose an object of His care,
    He guides the eagle through the pathless air,
    And surely He remembers me;
    My heav’nly Father watches over me.
  3. I trust in God, for, in the lion’s den,
    On battlefield, or in the prison pen,
    Through praise or blame, through flood or flame,
    My heav’nly Father watches over me.
  4. The valley may be dark, the shadows deep,
    But, oh, the Shepherd guards His lonely sheep;
    And through the gloom He’ll lead me home,
    My heav’nly Father watches over me.


Lionel

Updated Article, Previously posted on 25 May 2007

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Lionel ,for a well thought and very well written Contemplation. I cannot help but agree with you that our heavenly Father cares for our loved ones more than we can. Yes, I remember that familiar picture of Jesus, the Good Shepherd. I had grown so accustomed to it that I had failed to look at other details. I only noticed that He always had that re-assuring smile on His face. Dad was a good and faithful shepherd to his flock in the church he was pastoring, but he was often too busy to help or guide us. But I remember he and mom never failed to lift up each of us siblings to the Lord in prayer every night. As they faithfully served the Lord, the Lord faithfully watched over us. The re-assuring smile of the good Shepherd I see each day had given me the assurance that He was with me through the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rina Yap Su Lin wrote:
    Thanks Lionel
    It is very assuring indeed to know that our Lord watches over me and my household.
    Indeed, as my kids grow up, and spend time away from home, and my daughter got married last Dec, I cannot help but pray each day that God watches over them and guide their paths, just as He has been so faithful in guiding me in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God does not have grandchildren. Each of us is His precious child whom He watches dearly.

    ReplyDelete