Sunday 19 February 2023

How Wise Was Solomon?

Solomon's Court
 
'So be strong, act like a man, and observe what the Lord your God requires: walk in obedience to Him and keep His decrees and commands, His laws and regulations...' 1 King 2:2-3

The wisdom of King Solomon was dramatically evident by the judgement he made on the custody of a child disputed by two mothers. It is a well-known account of sound judgement found in the Bible in 1 King 3:16-28. 

Two women living in the same house gave birth to a child each but one died soon after. The two mothers claimed the living baby as their own, resulting in a child custody dispute brought before the king. Solomon called for the living child to be cut into two giving each half to the mothers. The false claimant did not contest the verdict agreeing that if she could not have the baby then no other person should. In contrast the true mother, protested against this action and asked for the child to be kept alive and be given to the other woman. The King declared her to be the true mother because she was prepared to give up her claim if it meant that the child could be kept alive.    

This was a moment of profound wisdom that marveled many and became an epitome of sound judgement. That wisdom came from God. Early in King Solomon's reign, God asked the King what he wanted and Solomon replied,  

'Give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may lead this people, for who is able to govern this great people of yours?' 2 Chronicles 1:10

God answered, 

"Since this is your heart's desire and you have not asked for wealth, possessions or honor, nor for the death of your enemies, and since you have not asked for a long life but for wisdom and knowledge to govern my people over whom I have made you king, therefore wisdom and knowledge will be given you." 2 Chronicles 1:11-12a

It was a brilliant and unselfish request from Solomon, so much so that God promised Solomon great wealth and prestige along with wisdom. 

"And I will give you wealth, possessions and honour, such as no king who was before you ever had and none after you will have." 2 Chronicles 1:12b  

Under Solomon's wise leadership Israel reached its zenith but it all went wrong subsequently. The strong united kingdom broke into two under Solomon's successors, decayed until the Jews were driven from their land first by the Assyrians (733 BC) later by the Babylonians (598 BC). Finally, in AD 70 with the destruction of Jerusalem and its temple by Rome, the remnant Jews were scattered. The State of Israel ceased to exist until 1948 when it was established after the British Mandate of Palestine.

Why did Solomon self-destruct? Kevin and Lynette Teo (Ref 1) in analysing 1 King 11:1-11 gave the reasons
  • Distraction. Solomon had many wives and concubines, nearly 1000 in all, many of them foreigners. It was recorded that these wives led Solomon astray. 
'As Solomon's grew old, his wives turned his heart after other gods and his heart was not fully devoted to the Lord his God, as the heart of David his father had been.' 1 King 11:4

  • Disobedience. Solomon was disobedient in having many foreign wives and of worshipping other gods and idols. He built places of worship to these other gods causing God to be angry with him
 'Although He had forbidden Solomon to follow other gods, Solomon did not keep the Lord's command.' 1 King 11:10

  • Drift. In time, Solomon drifted and turned away from God. His beliefs and faith became nominal and compromised.

'So Solomon did evil in the eyes of the lord; he did not follow the Lord completely, as David his father had done.' 1 King 11:6

  • Decline. Solomon's relationship with God went downhill. It is not only in his actions but in his attitude too. Thus the kingdom that was established by his father King David went into a tailspin decline.

'So the Lord said to Solomon, "Since this is your attitude and you have not kept my covenant and my decrees, I will most certainly tear the kingdom away from you and give it to one of your subordinate." ' 1 King 11:11

Kevin and Lynette put it plainly and bluntly, "The wisest man on earth became the greatest fool."

What about us? The Christian Life begins with Salvation but it should continue to Sanctification. Like Solomon we can start off well but many falter in a continuing journey to righteousness by being distracted and disobedient. To avoid the pitfalls of a compromised Christian Life, let us wisely learn from the Solomon blunder.

The journey of sanctification requires a undivided devotion for God as the hymn 'Be Thou My Vision' articulates. Notice how Kristyn Getty sang with much prayerfulness. Isn't this like the prayer of Solomon at the start of his reign?


Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best thought, by day or by night
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light
Be Thou my wisdom, and Thou my true word
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord
Thou my great Father, and I Thy true son
Thou in me dwelling and I with Thee one
Riches I heed not, nor vain, empty praise
Thou mine inheritance, now and always
Thou and Thou only first in my heart
High King of heaven, my treasure Thou art
High King of heaven, my victory won
May I reach heaven's joys, O bright heaven's sun
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall
Still be my vision, O ruler of all
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall
Still be my vision, O ruler of all

   

Lionel

Ref1: Kevin and Lynette Teo, Passion with Purpose: A weekly devotional 38.2 2023/6




1 comment:

  1. Amen. Makes one wonder - honouring the gift of godly wisdom

    ReplyDelete