Sunday 31 October 2021

Perfect Peace


UN Peace Stamps

'You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, all all the trees of the field will clap their hands.' Isaiah 55:12

'Give Peace A Chance' became the anti Vietnam war song at a time when many of my generation were growing up; either studying or starting our careers. That was from 1969 to 1975. It had a rather quirky beginning in that it was written by John Lennon and Yoko Ono during their 'Bed-In' honeymoon in Montreal, 31 May 1969, an attention capturing international display.

On the 15 Nov 1969, this song was sung in Washingston DC by more than half a million demonstrators against the Vietnam war. Pete Seeger who led the singing shouted over the microphone, "Are you listening, Nixon?" as the protestors sang "All we are saying is give peace a chance."

John Lennon stated at one of his last interview, in 1980, "It wasn't like you have to have peace! Just give it a chance. We ain't giving any gospel here - just saying how about this version for a chance? We think we have the right to have a say in the future. And we think the future is made in the your mind."

Really? Even though the idealists thought that the song and protests brought about the end of the Vietnam war, after nearly 40 years later where is the peace? John Lennon was right when he sarcastically mentioned there is no gospel in the song. Forty years hence still no chance of peace; where there is no gospel there is no peace.

Those who live by the gospel that Jesus Christ brings are at peace with ourselves even though there is no peace in the world. There will not peace so long as sin prevails and we can only hope to wait for the second coming of Jesus Christ to establish a new heaven and a new earth. 

That is when Christ will establish Perfect Peace. Till then, my church's choir, the Charis Methodist Church's Choir sang out what is the deep yearning of our hearts, to be at peace with ourselves, with others and with God.


When life’s burdens get so heavy
 And it seems I’m all alone,
I cast my care on Jesus
 And come boldly to His throne.
I find His grace sufficient
 When His promises I heed.
For His very life He sacrificed,
And He lives to intercede.

He is the Lord of Lords, 
And when He speaks winds and waves obey.
When Jesus whispers “Peace be still,”
Then darkness turns to day.
And as I’m trusting in my Savior’s Word
 Doubts and fears all cease,
And beneath the shelter of His wings
 I’m at rest in perfect peace.

I will seek for souls in darkness,
Calvary’s love with them to share.
Empowered by His Spirit
I will follow anywhere.
For I know whate’er befalls me
My Lord is in control.
And as my mind is stayed on Him
Perfect peace he gives my soul.

The peace that Jesus promises is different. Although there will be trouble and tribulation, Jesus tells us not to worry for He has overcomed the world.

'Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.' John 14:27

'I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.' John 16:33   

St Paul recognised that in a troubled world there are insecurities and worries and he pointedly advised, 

'Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.' Phil 4:6-7 

Living in peace with each other was strongly advocated for the early church, 

'If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.'Romans 12:18 
'Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification.' Romans 14:19

As God's people, we can to offer this peace. Let there be Peace on Earth and Let it begin with Me.


Let there be peace on earth
And let it begin with me
Let There Be Peace on Earth
The peace that was meant to be
With God as our Father
Brothers all are we
Let me walk with my brother
In perfect harmony.

Let peace begin with me
Let this be the moment now.
With ev'ry step I take
Let this be my solemn vow
To take each moment and live
Each moment in peace eternally
Let there be peace on earth
And let it begin with me

"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the Lord, who has compassion on you.' Isaiah 54:10

Lionel

1 comment:

  1. The peace that Jesus promises is what I long for. Thank you Lionel.

    ReplyDelete