Sunday 29 March 2020

Desolation



“I have destroyed nations;
their strongholds are demolished.
I have left their streets deserted,
with no one passing through.
Their cities are laid waste;
they are deserted and empty.” Zephaniah 3:6

Emeritus Bishop Robert Solomon, concerned with daily images of deserted cities and empty streets during this Covid-19 pandemic around the world, reminds us of the prophecy of Zephaniah. Zephaniah's  prophecy had been realised many times in the past. Today it seems that it is being fulfilled before our very eyes. He suggests that as much as we regret the devastation caused, we should try to discover what is God's purpose in allowing this to happen. 

The words of the prophet are very harsh, speaking of the judgement of God. What are God's purposes? 
  • Is this retribution for mankind's lack of conservation efforts of nature?
  • Have we been voraciously exhausting Earth's resources?
  • Have we been selfish, self-centred, materialistic, uncaring?
  • Have we been hedonistic, always self-indulgent?
The  answer could be all of the above and more; there are many reasons why God has allowed a very small microbe to devastate the human race

Bishop Solomon and Zephaniah suggest a purpose; to turn us toward Him with meekness and humility so that we can trust Him (Zephaniah 3:12)

US Vice-President, Mike Pence understood this need for repentance and prayer. He closes all his briefings with 'heal our land'. Devastation require healing; beginning with healing of self followed by healing of communities, healing of countries and finally the healing of the world. However this requires God's people to humble ourselves, to pray and to repent. If we cannot do much to combat the virus, we can pray and return to God.

Then salvation is assured and promised in Zeph 3:17, 

“The Lord your God is in your midst,
    a mighty one who will save;
he will rejoice over you with gladness;
    he will quiet you by his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing”

The Bishop said, "Here is a wonderful picture of God’s love. Like a mother who sings a lullaby over her troubled child, the Lord comforts us when we are afraid or disturbed. In this metaphor, God is not only singing a lullaby but sings loudly over His children. There is a combination of motherly tenderness as well as fatherly exuberance."

We need not fear the Corona virus, the earth will be healed. God's promise concludes Zephaniah Chapter 3 with

"At that time I will gather you;
at that time I will bring you home.
I will give you honour and praise among all the peoples of the earth
when I restore your fortunes before your very eyes.


How fortunate for us! It is very comforting when God tells us that he will bring us home. This song by David Haas gives the same assurance as Zephaniah did so many centuries ago. It is call "You are Mine". At such times, listen to this song and allow the lyrics and melody to echo in the recesses of your mind.

I will come to you in the silence
I will lift you from all your fear
You will hear My voice, I claim you as My choice
Be still, and know I am near

I am hope for all who are hopeless
I am eyes for all who long to see
In the shadows of the night, I will be your light
Come and rest in Me

I am strength for all the despairing
Healing for the ones who dwell in shame
All the blind will see, the lame will all run free
And all will know My name

I am the Word that leads all to freedom
I am the peace the world cannot give
I will call your name, embracing all your pain
Stand up, now, walk, and live

Do not be afraid, I am with you
I have called you each by name
Come and follow Me
I will bring you home
I love you and you are mine


Lionel


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. This song is a comfort. From, YenLeng.

    ReplyDelete