Sunday 2 April 2023

Listen, do you want to hear God?

Conversations with James



'Your Word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.' Psalm 119:105

The Hebrew word for the Bible is “Miqra”. This is rooted to the verb “qara” which means “to call”. The Bible is not just a repository of spiritual information, not just a book to carry around, but a voice to listen to. We should read the Bible in the anticipation of listening to the voice of God which we should obey and so live our lives.

At no time am I more aware of the dynamics of listening and obeying than in watching my grandson, James, grow up. James is now 15 years old but years ago I enjoyed watching James at play or at the table for breakfast. I observed the interplay between the child and his mother. Mother gives, sometimes shouts, instructions. James hears, listens, and obeys. Most times, James responded to his mother’s call in faith. He understood that his mum meant well for him and he saw no reason not to respond positively to her instructions.

James, Eleanor, Luke
The same is true for Eleanor, now 12 and Luke, now 7 years old.  

But even as young as 1 year old, these children have a mind of their own. So, there were times when the children would exert their wills taking on personal responses which might not always bring them in alignment with their Mum. 

The grandchildren are also exposed to the extended family. They are listening to the voices of their father, grandparents and beyond us to other adult voices especially in church. Our voices are shaping them, molding their character and developing consciences; these are the healthy dynamics of growing up children.

The same dynamics work in the hearing of God's voice, through the the Bible; Miqra, a voice to listen to. Each day, like a mother guides her children, the word of God 'speaks' to us.

'How can a young person stay pure? By obeying Your word. I have hidden Your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you' Psalm 119:9,11 (NLT)

The Bishop Robert Solomon in his book 'The Conscience' stated “The conscience is like a divine spark in human beings, but it has been dulled and neglected and require the Logos (Word) in the revelation of the Scriptures and Christ to be revived and renewed.” Coming from Christian roots, we hope by example and gentle persuasion to help the grandchildren define, a godly conscience with good attitudes and virtues. From the earliest ages, they have been taught to read the Bible. The psalmist said, 

'Be good to your servant, that I may live and obey Your word. Open my eyes to see the wonderful truths in Your instructions.' Psalm 119:17-18 (NLT)

'Teach me Your decrees, O Lord; I will keep them to the end. Give me understanding and I will obey Your instructions; I will put them into practice with all my heart. Make me walk along the path of Your commands, for that is where my happiness is found.' Psalm 119:33-35 (NLT)

'Your laws are my treasure; they are my heart's delight. I am determined to keep your decrees to the very end.' Psalm 119:111-112 

These 'conversations with God's Word,' allow Christians 

'to lead a life worthy of the calling to which you have received.' Ephesians 4:1 

The word, “worthy” is translated from the Greek word, 'axios.' This word 'axios' pictures a balancing scale. The items which Paul asked to be in balance, are God’s calling and personal direction. This will be expected of our grandchildren as of all of us too, to keep our walk and God’s call in equilibrium.

Indeed 'God's word is a lamp unto our feet.' 


Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path
Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path
When I feel afraid
Think I've lost my way
Still you're there right beside me
And nothing will I fear
As long as you are near
Please be near me to the end
Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path
Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path
I will not forget
Your love for me and yet
My heart forever is wandering
Jesus be my guide
And hold me to your side
I will love you to the end
Nothing will I fear as long as you are near
Please be near me to the end
Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path
Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path
And a light unto my path
You're the light unto my path

Lionel

Updated 1st Published 11 April 2010

Ref:  Solomon, Robert M, The Conscience - Rediscovering the Inner Compass Singapore Genesis Books 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment