Sunday 26 June 2022

Floundering Christians

'I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm - neither hot nor cold - I am about to spit you out of my mouth.' Revelation 3:15-16

Some say that the Lord Jesus Christ reserved His harshest criticism in the letters to the seven churches for the church of Laodicea. Lukewarm describes nominal Christians. They are neither here nor there, not committing themselves, afraid to give their full love, perhaps stingy with any form of service.

Another way to describe such Christians is 'floundering' which was how the Rev Wilfred Leow described the dangers in some churches in a sermon preached some years back at Charis Methodist Church. Floundering means being neither here or there, neither hot nor cold; left stranded in the doldrums of the vast ocean.

Pastor Wilfred Leow, said that Christian service or church life is like being in a boat. To move in a clear direction Wilfred suggested that this boat need three requirements
  • A light behind which he said could be the solid foundation of our faith in Christ. 
  • A light in front which is having a clear focus on Jesus Christ.
  • An engine in the boat to cut through the water, which is like being found in the continuing favour of Christ. 
Instead many church goers are just going nowhere. Why lukewarm? Why floundering? I can think of 3 reasons: 
  • A Me-centred Christianity. Such a Christianity is concerned with what we can get from God or how we can get Him to do what we want.
  • A listless Christianity. We lose passion. We may not deny our faith but we just become indifferent.
  • A 'dry bible' Christianity. We switched off when listening to sermons because we think we have heard it all before. We have been there, heard all and there is nothing more to learn.
Yet, God's words tell us to be found busy in doing God's work, always being found in His service, always serving community and church. Christian service out of Christian love will reap much satisfaction. 

'Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.' 1 Cor 15:58 (ESV)

To be steadfast and immovable is to be spiritually grounded. St Paul in the Epistle to the Ephesians hoped that

'We will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here are there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their dreadful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is Christ.' Ephesians 4:14-15  

Being steadfast and immovable is gently but resolutely put in this song 'I have decided to follow Jesus.' The story behind behind this song is that of a Indian convert named Nokseng who became an evangelist to the tribes in North-Eastern India. The family was severely persecuted and eventually martyred by an Assam tribe. These were Nokseng's last words which the famous Indian missionary, Sadhu Sundar Singh put to a simple Indian melody.




I have decided to follow Jesus;
I have decided to follow Jesus;
I have decided to follow Jesus;No turning back, no turning back.
Tho' none go with me, I still will follow,
Tho' none go with me I still will follow,
Tho' none go with me, I still will follow;No turning back, no turning back.
My cross I'll carry, till I see Jesus;
My cross I'll carry till I see Jesus,
My cross I'll carry till I see Jesus;No turning back, No turning back.
The world behind me, the cross before me,
The world behind me, the cross before me;
The world behind me, the cross before me;
No turning back, no turning back.

'Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me; for where I am my servant also will be. My Father will honour the one who serves me.' John 12:25-26 

There is no floundering in Nokseng the martyr, no turning back.



Lionel

Updated 1st published 1 April 2007

5 comments:

  1. The church in Singapore is tired meh? With the cell groups and the activities, I always feel that Charis is a dynamic church.

    The church in the UK is what I call tired - definitely needs some kind of resuscitation. There are churches everywhere but very few of them have any sort of spark or welcoming atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fallen world keeps us busy and distracted, so that we forget our Purpose, even losing our joy and peace sometimes over issues that are so trivial or worldly. It zaps us of our energy and robs us of our joy that is our Strength.

    Only when we draw close to Him all the time, keeping His Words in our heart and hearing His small voice would we be able to remain Overcomers of the world. Indeed we are More than conquerors in Chirst ! And circumstances, people and the changes in the world pale in comparison to His Glorious Coming again ... and we Rejoice, knowiing that we Serve a Risen Christ ! Hallelujah !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sok Hian for sharing. It is nice to read of exuberance in someone's faith.

    Last Sunday our Pastor shared from Gen 17:1 when God appeared to Abram at the ripe old age of ninety-nine years with the message, "I am God Almighty; walk before me and be blameless." At such a age Abram was given a new lease of God's promise to him.

    Instead of floundering, life can be as you say, really exciting and full of enthusiasm. God comes alongside us and tells us "Walk before me and I will set your paths right."

    I was trying to figure out what is it like to walk before God. A old song from the folk singers "the Seekers" comes to mind. I realised that when we sing this song "Walk with me." like a prayer to God, we will have some glimpse of Abram's blessed life from 100 years hence.

    Walk with me through the long and lonely night.
    Walk with me, and my world is fill'd with light.
    Here I stand feeling lost and so alone.
    Take my hand, don't desert me now,
    Please don't leave me now,
    If you walk with me, tho' I know the road is long,
    I'll get by with your love to make me strong.
    More by far than a guiding star above,
    I long for you,
    Walk with me, oh my Lord

    If this is our everyday prayer, then we will know what it means to walk before the Lord. We need, no longer flounder no matter what our age, what our circumstance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed, Abraham was a man of Great Faith ! This is something for us to learn, wherever we are in age, place or situation. He never took his eyes off God ie did not look at his own limitations but simply took God at His Word. Hallelujah! So simple, yet so difficult many a times. He just believed, trusted His God. Are we able to do the same? Many a times, our minds or intellect become a stumbling block in our walk with God. We limit the Almighty by our definitions and limitations of what is really possible.

    The other thought that came to mind was the part on BEING, rather than DOING. In a world caught up with achievements and results, even believers often times use the same yardstick the world uses - measurements that may mean nothing! When what God truly wants is a Heart that yearns to love and know Him more, then naturally, the doing part comes about .... It is first to grasp how much and how deep His love for us is, then only can there be a flow of love through us to those around.

    There is a difference being Surrendered (to Him) versus Committed (to activities/ programs). Perhaps walking and talking with God is the KEY to appreciating our very existence! After all, He created us and knew us when we were in our mother's womb (Ps 139) and wow, with long life He will satisfy us (Ps 91).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charles Loh asked

    Good to read your article again. Wondering what the church can and should do to warn and guide Christians against the me-centred and dry Bible mentality. How can we better encourage believers to devote time and effort to build their personal relationship with God?

    God bless,
    Charles

    ReplyDelete