Sunday 13 February 2022

Look On Nature




‘When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; What is man, that thou art mindful of him?  And the son of man, that thou visitest him?’  Psalms 8:3-4 (KJV)

Bishop Robert Solomon opined that one of the spiritual disciplines is to train the soul by immersing oneself in nature like taking quiet walks in the picturesque countryside.

We had a family holiday in Wales once, Pat, Debbie, John and I in Oct 2004. I insisted on making a detour to visit the ruins of Tintern Abbey. I needed to see the hills that rise up from the valley of the River Wye. This was the nature scene that captivated the poet William Wordsworth when he wrote the poetic essay ‘Tintern Abbey.’ I studied the poem in school when I was 15 years old. It so inspired me that I had an urge to stand in awe of the natural surroundings, as viewed from the ruins of Tintern Abbey.

Since reading ‘Tintern Abbey,’ I have learned to view nature enrapt by worshipful thoughts and attitudes. Wordsworth wrote:

“For I have learned
To look on nature, not as in the hour
Of thoughtless youth; but hearing oftentimes
The still, sad music of humanity,
Nor harsh nor grating, though of ample power
To chasten and subdue. And I have felt
A presence that disturbs me with the joy
Of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime
Of something far more deeply interfused,
Whose dwelling is the light of setting suns,
And the round ocean and the living air,
And the blue sky, and in the mind of man;
A motion and a spirit, that impels
All thinking things, all objects of all thought,
And rolls through all things. Therefore am I still
A lover of the meadows and the woods,
And mountains; and of all that we behold.”

The Bishop and I know the secret that God is present in nature. Let us go out of our way to find those sublime moments that awaken our hearts and reach our souls. When surrounded by the simple beauty of the woods or the splendid panoramas of the Grand Canyon we will sense the subtle presence of God. It is a sweet and gentle presence. We come out of that experience matured, elevated, chastened and subdued.

When nature confronts us, we also sense the infinite gap between man and God; just how miniscule we are and how infinitely great God is. Like the Psalmist who contemplated the cosmos, we are left to wonder just why God would even consider us. 

"Reading about nature is fine, but when a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he experiences more than what is gathered from books, for they speak the voice of God." This quote from George Washington Carver, repeats the same realisation as found in Job, 

'But ask the beasts, and they will teach you; the birds of the heavens, and they will tell you; or the bushes of the earth, and they will teach you; and the fish of the sea will declare to you. Who among all these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this? In his hand is the life of every living thing and the breath of all mankind.' Job 12:7-10

Yes, nature brings the realisation of the presence of God so we can confidently declare, "All things bright and beautiful; all creatures great and small, all things wise and wonderful, the Lord God made them all!” Listen to this lovely song by John Rutter!
 

All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens,
Each little bird that sings,
He made their glowing colours,
He made their tiny wings.
The purple-headed mountain,
The river running by,
The sunset and the morning,
That brightens up the sky;
The cold wind in the winter,
The pleasant summer sun,
The ripe fruits in the garden,
He made them every one;
He gave us eyes to see them,
And lips that we might tell
How great is God Almighty,
Who has made all things well.
All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord God made them all.


Lionel

Updated article. 1st Published 27 Jul 2009

5 comments:

  1. Comments received by email from Veronica Poore:

    To say that I am much moved by your recent contemplations, is not saying it all. Your insight into books and the Word is effective. As a teacher I taught Literature in English and poetry lessons were a joy to prepare and share with my charges. So when I read what you have written and see these through your eyes, I want to continue to enjoy poetry as long as I can, especially the Psalms.

    I delight in my garden and while I talk to the plants and birds and butterflies for making it beautiful; and scold the snails for coming in, I cannot but see God in all these too.

    Thank you for your sharing. I see you in a different light through these reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your piece reminds me of my favourite hymns "How Great Thou Art" and "In the Garden". One of the things I missed about North America is the great national parks and the beautiful gardens. The weather of course is generally more contusive to walk and reflect than in the humid weather like ours. Keep writing...William Wan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. Wonderful to link poetry with real experience. Forest bathing is the latest soaking in nature, but minus the creator behind nature. Your experience is the christian more complete and holistic version!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heong Goh wrote

    Thank you Lionel! I too believe that God’s creation certainly lead us to commune and adore the Lord. It’s certainly a level up from our seeking the Lord through human relationships or personal meditations. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Johnny Pang wrote:
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I also like William Wordsworth's poem entitled "Tintern Abbey" - remember reading his poem in my Secondary school literature days.

    Your article concerning nature reminds me of God the Creator as in Psalms 24:

    1 The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it,
    the world, and all who live in it;
    2 for he founded it on the seas
    and established it on the waters

    ReplyDelete